Sunday, April 13, 2008

XXX Diving

After the Whitsunday Island "cruise" [Ali - There was definitely no shuffleboard on the Ledo Deck], we had to haul ass to Cairns for our liveaboard dive trip. Ali and I developed what I call "Land Sickness" where we'd get nauseas on land because we're so used to being tossed about at sea. This is also the part of the trip where Matt left us to do his own thing since he is not doing his open water diving certification. I'm sure he enjoyed the freedom of taking long hot showers without one of us banging down the door after 35 mins.

Our dive company was run by a bunch of 20 year-olds, which we didn't figure out until we heard some of their "teaching devices". Zak, our instructor who was actually 20, taught us his mnemonic device for remember all the things to check prior to a dive: "Bangkok Women Are Really Men". I wondered if they've had any Thai's on the boat and if they were offended. Then to remember which way to put on our weight belts we were taught "the man is always right", meaning the "male" end of the weight belt (I leave that to the interpretation of your vivid imagination) is in your right hand. Finally, for our night dive we were taught that "women don't like their nipples handled" to remind us not to point the eye of our flashlight at the fishies (subjective? no?). I think someone needs to let these over-hormoned kids off the boat more often.

I was a little wary of how much I'd like diving at first. It seemed like one of those activities you enjoy only after you've fully mastered the techniques. I have to say, I'm somewhat addicted. I'm already planning my next dive trip and filling out subscriptions to Scuba magazine. I think having my first dives in the GBR probably fueled my love for the sport but I'd imagine I'd even enjoy diving in Florida. We saw reef sharks about 2 meters in length, baracudas, parrot fish, nemo, clown fish, sting rays and huge tortoises (sadly they don't say "dude"). I also found some Chinese dim sum delicacies but we weren't supposed to take anything with us. Sea cucumber with a drizzle of sesame oil, black vinegar and cilantro? Yum!
Cairns is also where Matt and I left Ali to wander the rest of Australia on her own. I'm sure she'd do fine even if she's a little doubtful (having recently received an email from her, I can assure you, she's doing... wink, wink). So with two days left in the trip, it's off to Sydney for Matt and I. I wonder how I'd adjust back to city life after all this ruralness. I smell Bonnie again....

So long, farewell, Auf wiedersehen, adieu,

Connie

No comments: