Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Monkey See, Monkey Do the Nasty Nasty


At this point of the trip, it is probably appropriate to discuss our travel dynamics. As a previous wise traveler once waxed "when traveling with 3 people, its natural for 2 people to gang up on the 3rd". While we've been considerate and forgiving so far, Ali and I definitely gang up on Matt. The problem is Ali and I have an exceedingly high sense of urgency while Matt likes to take his time.


Matt first got a taste of what he was up against as Ali and I tore through the "ghetto" of Christchurch looking for our rental car company. Then Ali and I got our comeupence when we waited 30 mins for Matt to emerge from the bathroom the next morning. Honestly, I expected Brad Pitt to walk out of the bathroom with the amount of time he takes [Matt - Shit, Shower and Shave takes time bitches!]. By our 9th day together, we had perfected a system. When in motion, Matt would run ahead in bursts so the 3 of us can stay abreast for longer. When getting ready in the morning Ali sets 2 alarms; one 60 minutes earlier for Matt and one 30 minutes before our departure time for the two of us.

To be fair to Matt, Ali and I probably have our habits that he finds exceedingly annoying. For example, I don't like anything of mine touching what I call the "Nasty Nasty". The Nasty Nasty is the coverlet at hotels that I'm sure is never washed. It is the most disgusting thing in the room, bar none. So Matt is not allowed to put anything on the Nasty Nasty or something wicked will his way come.

Overall, we have worked out a system to get along. It's really hard to find time to bicker with our schedule and I've never found a sore spot that a nice bottle of Sav Blanc can't cure [Ali - Three!]. I'll probably end up being the odd man out in Australia as the two white kids play hide and seek from the sun. Should I tell them that in a competition with the Sun, the Sun always wins?
So Long, Farewell, Auf Weidersehen, Adieu,
Connie

No comments: