Wednesday, March 26, 2008

If The Asians Won't Come to Me, I'll Go to the Asians


White water rafting was our chaser following sky diving. The river was low which meant less rapids so we signed up for the harder course to compensate. To get to the starting place, we drove down an extremely narrow gravel road with hairpin turns, which was more frightening than jumping out of a plane. After we finally got suited up and divided into boats, who do we end up in a raft with? The only other three Asians on the trip. They were a family from Hong Kong and apparently had experience in rafting in Alaska. Hong Kong Mom, had long acrylic Lee Press On Nails in irridescent gold, which it's better to paddle with I'm sure.


They spoke English quite well but I did have to break out the native tongue when our guide asked them obscure questions (our guide was one meth lab explosion short of crazy). The daughter behind me and got every paddling instruction wrong. When we were to row forward, she rowed backwards, when only the other side was suppose to paddle, she lent a hand. I was beginning to wonder if she was a communist sleeper.


Hong Kong Dad sat next to me and was too embarrassed to sit on my lap when we needed to dodge to prevent the raft from flipping. He very properly left a full 12 inches between us at all times. Had the raft really started flipping I would have hauled his polite Chinese ass over because I'm not looking to go down the freezing cold river swimming no matter how long HK Mom's nails are [Matt - I though the expression was Fresh OFF the Boat?].

I was very impressed with their sense of adventure and how well traveled they were. It's about time my people stopped working so hard and got out to see the world their ancestors built and laundered.


So Long, Farewell, Auf Weidersehen, Adieu,
Connie

No comments: